Sunday 30 October 2011

Ralf's cycle for Sight

Well folks it's now time to say good night,adieu,adios and sweet dreams. This blog will be the last one re: Ralf's Cycle for Sight.

We would like to extend our heartfelt thanks to everyone for their generous donations,support and prayers that made Ralf's solo jouney an amazing success. And to the critters Ralf met along the way-prarie dogs,vulchers,ducks- they added some comic relief needed for such a long journey.

 As of October 13,2011, $22,697.00 was raised. To quote Tara,Annual Giving Manager,Boston Foundation for Sight, "Absolutely incredible! And very much appreciated!
I am posting the letter Tara  submitted to the foundation's news letter re Ralf's cycle.

"Would you ride across Canada to raise money for an organization
that restored the sight of your child?

Ralf Jarchow recently undertook a bicycle ride across Canada to raise money for Boston Foundation for Sight (BFS).  Ralf’s 2112 mile ride from Calgary, Alberta to his home in Brampton, Ontario required willpower and stamina – the same traits that his daughter, Megan drew on for years before coming to BFS.  The ride was an expression of his gratitude for the life-restoring treatment that Megan and many other victims of blinding and painful corneal diseases receive at BFS. 

At age eight, Megan was diagnosed with ocular cicatricial pemphigoid (OCP), a rare, blistering corneal disease that, over time, threatened her eyesight and caused increasing pain.  Nothing seemed to stop its inexorable progression, until she received PROSE treatment, which improved her vision and gave her instantaneous relief from the constant eye pain.  Today, Megan is a thriving college student studying nursing having been inspired by the care she received at BFS.

As more doctors and patients discover Boston Foundation for Sight and PROSE treatment, the need for financial assistance grows.  Your gift makes it possible for us to provide patient-centered compassionate care to all who walk through our doors and enables our amazing staff to carry our mission forward at an even faster pace.  Help transform the lives of patients like Megan by giving them the precious gift of sight.

When reflecting upon the reason for his journey, Ralf said “I felt that BFS was a marvelous organization and if I could do anything to help others, I would.”  But you don’t have to ride across Canada to make a commitment of financial support. Please take a minute to fill out the attached donation form and make a tax deductible contribution.  You can also make a donation online on our website at www.bostonsight.org and click on “DONATE”.  Or, if you would like to discuss other, inventive fundraising opportunities such as Ralf’s Ride, please call Tara Stepanian at 781-726-7512."


Tara
Tara Stepanian
Annual Giving Manager
Boston Foundation for Sight
464 Hillside Avenue, Suite 205
Needham, MA 02494
P:  781-726-7512 (direct dial)
F:  781-726-7310


I had her make a correction which was to say "Megan is a thriving university student" as opposed to college student.Here in Canada we have universities,not just colleges.
I had indicated in my blog from 3 months ago (July) that I had 10 things I would do differently if I did this again.... "Shoot me if I'm doing this again.....correction...shoot Ralf,not me". At the time I thought it was funny but 3 months later I'm not so sure.But here goes.Taken from my journal 3 months ago but still relevant for future support vehicles
.
The TOP 10

1)Buy a hard expensive cooler. I bought the cheap ($12) styrofoam cooler. Now I think I paid too much for it. Loaded it with 10 lbs.of ice,bottled water,juice for the next water break (roughly every 10 k).
The next am went to put another 10lbs.of ice in cooler....no melted water left from yesterday in cooler-?evaporated?  Much to my chagrin,10 lbs.of melted ice filled my back seat yesterday and now 10 lbs.of ice filled my back seat today.  My new car is looking like my old car :(

2)Don't try to read good book-hard to drive and read at same time. Better to have audio tapes...that way you can drink McDonald's coffee,put lipstick on, and steer at same time while reading/listening to good book. Reading "Under an Afgan Sky" by Mellissa Fung.

3)buy GPS with volume control on side of unit and not internally located. Norm Jackson would know what I'm talking about. Had volume up high while driving to Lake Michigan to meet Ralf....daughter Megan calls ,4 hours north of Brampton with car that just stopped running on hwy;van full of friends,Megan frantic,called Norm to ask what I should do but he couldn't hear me as the gps kept saying "recalculating" and I couldn't turn it down....Murphy's Law,the first of many, kicking in.

4)bring box(es) of tide for washing smelly cycling clothes.Ralf  using the little motel bar of soap.

5)bring quarters and loonies to use in washing machines.Before I arrived on the scene Ralf was just washing clothes in bathtub/sink.

6)bring more clothes.Was only planning on staying 2 nights not 6!

7)always have cyclist leave area (where he stopped) first. Twice I left first only to see Ralf picking up his bike from the ground where it had been leaning on my CAR....or don't place bike against car...it's not a bike rack.

8)took pics from (moving) car of Ralf cycling."Objects in mirror closer than they appear" should also be on front window when taking pictures from driver's seat behind wheel. Would have been upset if I ran over Ralf on his bike when he was so close to completing his trek.....and not to mention what it would have done to my new car.

9)keep cycling shoes and socks double bagged when left overnight in car.....unpleasant odour lingering in car. Initially thought an animal had crawled in car and died. I think that given the choice I would opt for the dead animal. Buy odour eaters;throw socks away daily;large bath/beach towel for front seat to absorb sweat and perspiration from sweaty biker.

10)carry duct tape. So many times I could have used it-(a)in Sarnia,had to call hotel security to open  door for us as door knob came off in my hand and couldn't get it back on; (b) hotel in Burlington,shower knob,you guessed it,off..............

Thought the Top 10 would cover everything but realized after I got to 10 I could have gone on for another 10. If I were to add one more,#11,it would be changing the title of "Ralf's Cycle for Sight" to "Ralf's Changing Flats for Sight". That one day, Ralf changed his tire 6 times...

 Well this brings the blog to an end.Once again, Ralf and I want to thank each and everyone of you that made his journey an amazing success.Thanks to your financial generou$ity this has helped not just one person receive the gift of sight but a few.

If Ralf decides to do something like this again,I will have to put him down.I know you'll understand.

Hugs and Kisses,
Valerie and Ralf




1 comment:

  1. Looking for Running Clothes? Then throw away your worries.Now tgstore is with you.This company is worldwide distributor who provides bicycle clothing,gore wear,bike gloves,cycling apparel as well as running clothes.

    ReplyDelete